The Lush Programming Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Operating system and initial setup

Go down

Operating system and initial setup Empty Operating system and initial setup

Post  Admin Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:19 am

The first step is to find an operating system. Lush is usually used on Linux based, computers, and so far doesn't run on Windows (and probably Mac). This tutorial is more complicated than what's necessary, but I find it useful for someone who knows a little about Linux and want's a small fast system. You will need to be connected to the internet on a broadband or DSL connection.

1. Find your Distribution (Linux version you want to use).

I suggest CrunchBang Linux. It is relatively easy to use, lightweight (low ram, cpu, and hard drive needed), has a sizable community support base, and has worked for me. You can get it at http://crunchbanglinux.org/ and download the lite version in the upper right. I chose via Torrent to download, as it has a more courteous use of bandwidth.

2. Installing it is pretty straight forward. You use cd software to burn the .iso to cd properly (DO NOT burn an .iso to cd as a single file, an iso is an archive of an actual cd's contents). Boot the cd at system startup, and at the loaded desktop, you right click and in the middle there's something a menu install (or so), and then install Crunchbang.

3. Hard drive setup. The installer will ask how you want to set up the hard drive. I suggest you use a whole hard drive and use the default ("recommended") hard drive layout option. If the hard drive has other systems, I will write another tutorial because by default, I think recommended FORMATS YOUR DRIVE.

4. After installing, you will have an option to restart (I think). You will be prompted to remove the cd.

5. When restarted, enter the name and password used at the installation

6. Right click and open a terminal. Type sudo apt-get update It will ask for your password. Hit ok. The update was about 10 megabytes for me, so use that as an estimated of how long it will take to download.

7. Close the terminal, right click, open the package manager. X out of the dialog box, and hit the Mark All Upgrades button, hit ok, then hit the Apply button (a checkmark).

8. Restart. Log back in, and install the following list of items by entering their names in the Quick Search box of the package manager:

build-essential
binutils-dev
libsdl-image1.2-dev
libgl1-mesa-dev
libglew1.5-dev
libx11-dev
libreadline5-dev
libgsl0-dev

If you have trouble finding them, you can click the title of the "Package" column and it will alphabetically organize the files.

Most of the programs will also need a list of other things installed, just hit ok in the box that comes up and it will take care of it.

9. Now we have an option to install a better user interface. I installed LXDE, it is lightweight, but it doesn't have desktop shortcuts and is bit awkward. A better option would probably be GNOME or KDE. These are alot more fully featured. GNOME is more simplistic, but KDE is more post-Windows Vista like. They each will want their suite of software downloaded. Search for them in the quick search box, and pick which one you want to try.

10. Restart the computer. At the log in window, click the Session button in the upper left. Click the LXDE, GNOME, or KDE you downloaded, and log in. It will ask whether you want to try it for just this session or make it the default option. I recommend just for this session, and then making it the default later if it works.

11. With your new system, find the internet tool, usually a circle or maybe the icon for Mozilla Firefox or IceWeasel. Download lush from sourceforge.net.

12. Find the download location. It will usually be /home/yourusername/Desktop. A picture of a folder or a file cabinet or something will be your file browser. This is a good time to note Linux uses case-sensitive names in the terminal/console and programs, unlike Windows.

13. Extract the archive to the same folder "here", then rename it Lush for simplicity reasons.

14. Find a terminal or console, and then put in cd /home/yourusername/Desktop/Lush If it goes right, the console should say something like: yourusername@yoursystemname:~/Desktop/Lush

15. Time to compile Lush. Following the readme, enter the command sudo ./configure and if that works right, then do: sudo make

16. Lush is installed and ready to be used in the folder. To immediately try it out, type cd bin and then ./lush2 You can X out, or use the ctrl-d keys, or put (exit) into lush, and then exit in the terminal.

17. To try a demo if you're in the bin folder, type ./lush2 ../demos/lunar-lander The lunar lander demo should open. It will crash after you crash the ship a number of times.

Further suggestions:

For easier access, close the terminal and open a new one. Type ./Desktop/Lush/bin/lush2 and hit enter. This will allow you, anytime you open the terminal, to just hit up until you reach this command you already typed.

I will write another tutorial if people want to know how to make a link to run lush from the desktop.

If you have issues with this tutorial or the installation, post a reply (Don't give up!)

This is one of my first tutorials, go easy on me Razz

Admin
Admin

https://lushprogramming.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum